Installing a toilet may seem daunting, but it can be a simple DIY project with the right tools and some basic knowledge. Whether renovating your bathroom or replacing an old toilet, this guide will help you through the process step by step.
Tools and Materials Required
Before you begin, you’ll need to gather the following tools and materials:
- Wax ring
- Toilet bolts
- Adjustable wrench
- Putty knife
- Silicone caulk
- Plumbers putty
Removing the Old Toilet
- Turn off the water supply to the toilet by turning the valve clockwise.
- Flush the toilet to remove as much water as possible.
- Disconnect the water supply line from the bottom of the tank by loosening the nut with an adjustable wrench.
- Remove the two bolts that secure the toilet to the floor using an adjustable wrench.
- Rock the toilet back and forth to loosen it from the wax ring.
- Lift the toilet straight up and set it aside.
- Clean the area around the flange, removing any old wax or debris.
Preparing the Flange and Floor
- Inspect the flange for any cracks or damage and make any necessary repairs.
- Apply a bead of plumbers putty around the base of the flange.
- Place the wax ring onto the flange, making sure it is centred.
Installing the New Toilet
- Carefully lower the new toilet onto the wax ring, aligning the holes in the base with the bolts on the floor.
- Press down on the toilet to compress the wax ring and create a watertight seal.
- Insert the bolts into the holes in the base and tighten the nuts onto the bolts with an adjustable wrench.
- Reconnect the water supply line to the bottom of the tank and turn the water supply back on.
- Test the toilet for leaks by flushing it several times and checking for water around the base.
- Apply a bead of silicone caulk around the toilet’s base to cover the putty and prevent future leaks.
- Replace the tank lid and any other fixtures removed during the installation.
- Clean up any remaining debris and dispose of it properly.
Tips for a Successful Installation
- Make sure to measure the rough-in distance from the wall to the centre of the waste pipe before purchasing your new toilet.
- Always wear gloves when handling the wax ring to avoid getting any oils or debris on it.
- If you encounter any difficulties during the installation, don’t hesitate to call a professional plumber for assistance.
Following these simple steps, you can successfully install a toilet and give your bathroom a fresh look. Happy plumbing!