The One That Got Away

The one that was left behind.

When you’re doing a renovation, especially on a house in which you’re not currently residing, people, usually workers, but occasionally angry neighbors whose trash did not get picked up because your plumber’s truck was blocking their garbage cans, come and go as they please. In fact, the only people who even bothered ringing the door bell during the last few months were the Jehovah’s Witnesses who stopped by to chat.

True.

With all the traffic, all the workers: HVAC guys, plumbers, electricians, drywallers, painters, floor guys, tile guys, trim guys, window guys, roofers and five other categories that I’ve already forgotten, our house has been a busy and hectic place.

And I’m not the type of person who wins awards for her high level of organization in the best of times.

So it’s not surprising that a few items might have gotten misplaced during the course of the Plan A Reno. Some things, though, seem to have walked away. Not that any of the guys would have taken my bottle of Dawn dish soap.

Or maybe they would have.

It’s not that I think we have a kleptomaniac in our midst. More likely, someone accidentally took this or that when it was laid down next to their stuff. But even more puzzling than the missing dishwashing detergent or extension cord is our missing shop-vac.

Because even though our shop-vac went missing, somebody left one in its place. Frankly, I’d be just as happy with a yellow one as our old orange one, but our attachments don’t fit.

We didn’t notice the swap out until about 10 weeks into the reno at which point it was impossible to even know who to call about the potential mix-up. We’ll just have to call our trust old orange friend the one that got away.

Have you had anything walk away, get swapped out or truly stolen during a home repair?

7 Responses to The One That Got Away
  1. Rebecca Lindell
    January 11, 2012 | 10:06 am

Do you want to borrow ours? It hasn’t gotten a work since … oh, since we finished OUR reno! Let me know. Has the door trim come in yet? What’s still left to be done?

January 17, 2012 | 9:58 pm

Floor trim and bathroom mirror are set for this week! We are soclose.

January 11, 2012 | 10:17 am

I’ve never done a remodel so no. But once or 300 times at garage sales I was running, things got away. A bucket of Matchbox cars, a ride on motorized fire engine, a bassinet…

3. TheNextMartha
    January 11, 2012 | 4:35 pm

Maybe you can get a new attachment set for the new one? It’s cute anyways

January 17, 2012 | 9:59 pm

I consider cute a valid factor in selecting many things. Hadn’t considered it relative to a shop vac, though. I think my husband picked something up at Home Depot that will enable us to use the old attachments with the new vac; thanks!

4. Stephanie
    January 12, 2012 | 12:59 pm

Hi Kim, I just wanted to let you know the Zojurushi Rice Cooker I won in your wonderful giveaway arrived this morning! Thank you, again!! And this is silly, but an old shovel was stolen from us when we had our driveway repaved. It was my Grandfather’s and worked like no shovel you can find today. I guess someone needed it more than us, or perhaps it was a mistake. :-/

January 17, 2012 | 10:01 pm

How sad to loose a piece of family history. We’ve definitely learned that it’s best to label what’s around, but even better, not have those things around when workmen are here. We don’t feel like anything was purposefully nabbed, just mistakenly grabbed. Except for the dish soap. What’s up with that?

I hope you’re loving the rice cooker.