See Me in Action!

You always need the right tools for the job. In this case, the right tools were, well you’ll see in the video.

I only wish this post was sponsored by Q-tips, but no, my eyes simply fell upon the multipack of nearly 2,000 cotton swabs during a vulnerable moment at Costco and I knew I had to make them mine.

On the bright side, I won’t have to buy Q-tips again until 2013.

I’m buying coffee for two people who comment below on at least one change to our interior. Not changed are the doors on the main floor. Likely, I’ll get a new front hall closet door Valentine’s Day, DH will get a basement door for Father’s Day and so on. We have lovely, new, matchy doors in the upper part of the house, with one exception, to be revealed at a later date.

Also unchanged is the banister (pricey!) and the wooden runners on the stairs. I imagine at some point we’ll paint these. We need to do something with the stairs, too, but maybe that will happen after someone slips and breaks a few bones. (God forbid.) Carpet? Stick-on treads? What do you think?

9 Responses to See Me in Action!
    January 13, 2012 | 7:45 am

Hehehe you said szmata! That’s Polish as well as Yiddish. Or maybe the Poles just used Yiddish words or vice versa. I love those kitchen cabinets with the brushed nickel handles. PS Go back to Costco, buy the baby wipes and make the dust disappear even faster, you can even use the Q-tip under to poke around all the little spaces. Cheaper than Clorox wipes at 2cents each.

January 17, 2012 | 9:57 pm

Baby wipes, yes! I was trying to go eco. At least I can recycle the cotton swabs, yes?

2. Rebecca Lindell
    January 13, 2012 | 8:30 am

Wow, Kim, what little I can see looks spectacular! The chocolate-colored bathroom vanity looks especially gorgeous (and you don’t have to buy me coffee ;-). I cannot wait to see the place. I’m really delighted for you. :-) Well done!

January 17, 2012 | 9:56 pm

Looks are deceiving. We thought that was a fab vanity, too. But it’s actually pretty flimsy and cheap. I’ll likely write a post about it. I think it’s one of our most regrettable decisions.

3. Michael
    January 13, 2012 | 11:26 am

Oh man. So tedious, but oh so necessary. I never thought of the q-tip idea, but I have used a tack cloth and sweeping compound to help clean cabinets and floors respectively. I imagine I’ll be spending much of my week off work cleaning before we move in.

I don’t know if you like these, but I’ve seen people getting FLOR carpet tiles cut to use on the treads of stairs.

January 17, 2012 | 9:55 pm

I know I have a box of tack cloth around here somewhere. Or at least I did when we started the reno. Thanks!

I love the FLOR idea. I’m thinking that would be an economical route, relatively speaking at least.

4. Laura Frisch
    January 14, 2012 | 1:21 pm

Love it so far! Nice to see the dining room set in the open dining area. Such an evil sneak peek, we want more! Have you thought of putting a couple air filtering units in the house to get all the dust out? I don’t know the price or if you can rent them? I’ll have to stop in some time and see it all…waiting to see it on your blog is so frustrating! Good luck with the move in!!!

January 17, 2012 | 9:53 pm

We have been good about changing our furnace filter and we had the ductwork cleaned out. We also have a mobile HEPA room filter. It’s not so bad. Now the challenge is the snow, ice and salt that keeps getting tracked in. I’ll have you over soon!

5. TheNextMartha
    February 7, 2012 | 2:00 pm

I think we both know that you will never catch me cleaning with Q tips. It’s looking great though.