I Used to Be Anti-Pot

cast iron pan no teflonI used to be anti-pot, but now I’m reconsidering. I was all about my new cast iron pan to the exclusion of all other stove-top cooking vessels, except for the one pot that remained after our last move, a ginourmous beast of a thing that’s large enough to bathe a set of twins.

It worked for a few days. I made enough chicken soup for a small army, but the matzo balls were a challenge because I didn’t want to cook them directly in the soup. (Does anybody do that? Seems like the soup would get too starchy.)

I pulled my crockpot into action when I needed to boil a smaller amount of something, but I can foresee quite a bit of unnecessary kitchen gymnastics unless I get myself a proper pot.

Or two.

Or one small saucepan and something like a Le Creuset dutch oven?

I’m not sure which size or what brand (any recommendations?), I just need some pot(s).

8 Responses to I Used to Be Anti-Pot
    January 24, 2012 | 10:23 am

To me, a 3 quart is the most versatile. Not too big, not too small. Brand doesn’t really matter to me, because at some point I will over cook something that destroys the pot and I buy a new one. Betty Crocker I am not 🙂

January 25, 2012 | 10:07 am

Oh, it’s not the boiling over that’s so bad. It’s the boiling it dry that’s a pot killer. I might have done that once. 3 quarts sound good.

2. Cat Davis
    January 24, 2012 | 12:35 pm

If I had to give up all of my cookware, there would be two things I’d keep. 1) my calphalon non-stick cookware, skillets, pots, all of them 2) Lodge enamel coated dutch oven. It’s the same as Le crueset but 1/3 of the price.

January 25, 2012 | 10:09 am

Good to hear, Cat. My cast iron skillet is a Lodge–go made in the USA. I’m not sure if their enamelware is, though. I just try to avoid made in China cookware.

3. Brandie
    January 24, 2012 | 4:38 pm

I don’t really love the pans I have now. I’d like a whole new set too. But I feel like how do you know what to buy? Nonstick scares me a bit. But it also doesn’t. I’d love cast iron, but um, yeah, I’d have to sell a kid to get an entire set LOL!

January 25, 2012 | 10:11 am

I share your confusion. And it’s always more cost effective to buy a set than it is to buy piecemeal, so it winds up being a big commitment or a slow, more expensive acquisition. There is a “greener” Teflon-like product available now, but I think I’d rather avoid that whole mess. Though mess is what you get with “regular stick” cookware. No easy answer, I guess.

4. Carol Schiller
    January 25, 2012 | 2:45 am

Get a 5.5 qt Le Creuset pot. It’s guaranteed for life and there are so many dishes that come out better in it. You can make soups or matzo balls in it, yes, but also killer cholent, delicious stews, pot roasts, curries… My big sister got me one for my birthday and i absolutely love it.

January 25, 2012 | 10:12 am

Sounds good, Carol. I just have to see if I can lift it. Those things are heavy.