Broke

shattered dishIf a picture says a thousand words, then this photo will tell you a lot about why I am able to resist the allure of shiny new objects and am (often) happy enough with hand-me-downs. We haven’t even finished unpacking all of our boxes and I’ve already broken a one of our new plates. By the way, the plate broke when a mug I was washing slipped out of my hand. It wasn’t anything exciting. Like this.

We gave our old dishes away when we cleared out our previous house. It wasn’t quite a set given that they were the ones we purchased when DH and I first moved in together back in the late 1980s. We lost a bowl here, a saucer there, but we had enough to keep going.

When does one traditionally buy a new set of plates? Is that the kind of purchase that is tied to redecorating? A life event? Or is there a period of time that passes when it is suddenly acceptable to start fresh?

At any rate, our start is suddenly a little less fresh. One the bright side, I still have table settings for 15.75 people. If only my dining room table could fit them all.

15 Responses to Broke
  1. Lisa
    January 17, 2012 | 1:14 pm

We are still using the plates we got when we got married in 2001. I was wondering the same thing. LOL

January 17, 2012 | 9:41 pm

Sounds like the consensus is that when you have too few plates left, that’s the time to buy.

2. Thien-Kim
    January 17, 2012 | 1:15 pm

we have mismatched plates from the thrift store. I like it that way. We never registered for plates or anything of that sort.

January 17, 2012 | 9:45 pm

We got fine china for our wedding and it’s been sitting in boxes for nearly two decades! That said, our previous house wasn’t good for entertaining, but this one is, so maybe we will get them unpacked. Also, now that I’ve had them for nearly 20 years, I’m less concerned about the dishes breaking. Better they should get used and broken then sit around for 20 more years. I think before we moved, I filled in a few dishes from the thrift store.

3. Lisa - Hannemaniacs
    January 17, 2012 | 1:16 pm

We bought cheap-o plates, bowls, mugs about six years ago and all of a sudden they are covered in scratches and chips. I know they need to be replaced, but I can’t justify doing it so soon. They were super cheap, so now I’ve learned that paying a little more might get me more time out of them.

January 17, 2012 | 9:46 pm

What qualifies as super cheap? We certainly didn’t buy top of the line. I’m hoping it was kind of a freak accident based on the angle of impact from the mug, etc. I guess we’ll find out in the coming weeks.

4. Brandie
    January 17, 2012 | 1:29 pm

We are still using what my mom gave us (that used to be hers) when we got our first house in 2000. But it’s corelle, and they still make that pattern, so we’ve bought quite a few new pieces to replace broken ones.
    That said, we run out of spoons almost daily. I need new silverware but can’t find the same pattern. And don’t want to mix and match (why? I don’t know) but can’t imagine buying all new ones just to have more spoons!

January 17, 2012 | 9:49 pm

Sounds like you’re between a rock and a hard place, Brandie. We run out of spoons often, too. I think it’s due to people sneaking just a spoonful of ice cream (pie, etc.) here and there. And when I say people, of course I mean me, 🙂

January 17, 2012 | 1:46 pm

I received Corelle for my shower in 1982 and I’m still using it 4 houses and another husband later. It doesn’t break, it shatters into eleventy jillion glass shards. So I’ve replaced a few pieces here and there with garage sale or thrift store finds. It’s dated but whatevs

P.S. Your picture isn’t showing

January 17, 2012 | 9:49 pm

4 houses and another husband? You should make a commercial, LOL.

Thanks for the note about the photo. It seems to show sometimes, but not other times.

6. Tiaras & Tantrums
    January 17, 2012 | 3:19 pm

I bought a lovely set from Crate and Barrel in 1998 – still using it, but it is getting bare bones now. Dishes shatter when they touch granite counters! I’ve ruined my dishes from these damn counters!

January 17, 2012 | 9:50 pm

I got scared away from granite because I heard they are so hard, they are likely to cause breaking and shattering when things drop on them. I have greasy fingers.

7. Shari
    January 17, 2012 | 4:32 pm

We just got rid of the plates we registered for when we married. They were Pfalstgraff. I finally tired of constantly cleaning the scratches off them. The cleaner was just terrible. Instead of buying new ones, we started using my mother-in-law’s dishes. I can pick-up replacement pieces on eBay or via Replacements LTD.

I think you buy new plates either because the pattern is outdated (and not yet back in style) or because you break so many you don’t have enough to use daily (and don’t want to replace the broken ones).

8. admin
    January 17, 2012 | 9:52 pm

Cleaning the scratches off? You can do that (I’m only partly kidding. I think I only learned that a few years ago.)

Love your comment about being outdated and not yet back in style.

9. Michelle
    January 21, 2012 | 9:56 pm

Oh I HATE it when things like that happen. My husband tends to break wine glasses when washing them. Our kind isn’t made anymore, and replacing them is getting more and more expensive.

I finally replaced my set last year when my mom bought me some for Christmas. I’d had my other ones for a long time and sadly there were many that were chipped or broken because they were so heavy and big. I like these better though 😉