A Quick Update

tween room painted gray with Benjamin Moore

Me: You sure you want to paint your room blue? Tween: Yes. Me: Sure? Tween: Yes. Me: Okay, I'm going to get the paint. Tween: No, make it gray.

Sorry, I don’t have time for deeply reflective end-of-year navel gazing at the moment. I’m working my way through a client project and my boys are on school break. I decided to use this first week of break to practice with my Science Olympiad team. I’m coaching food science and scheduled my group for three, three-hour sessions. We’re capping off our marathon sessions with a Cookie Cafe tonight at the new house.

Only it’s still a construction zone.

That was not the plan.

You know that scene in Poltergeist where the mom is running down a hallway to get her daughter only the hallway starts stretching out before her getting longer and longer?

I feel like that mom.

The end is in sight, and each day there’s a little more progress, yet the end goal seems to be moving further and further away.

At any rate, our appliances arrived last week. I was certain that we were to be called within 30 minutes of delivery, so rather than wait around the house, I ran errands close to home, waiting for The Call. It never came and it turns out my painter signed for the washing machine, dryer, disposer, microwave, dishwasher, range and refrigerator.

Yeah, he’s helpful like that. I wasn’t so thrilled with our appliance provider, though.

Our counter tops were installed earlier this week. It was touch and go for a while there. We hit a major road block a few hours into the day, but managed to get things resolved without any f-bombs, threats or extra money spent, unless, you count the “beer money” we gave the installers when they finished up.

We decided to hire a painting crew–yes the same one from the thing on the living room ceiling (which they were very agreeable about resolving). As power painters, I thought they’d be in and out in a few days. They are not.

Which is good.

The paint crew of 2-3 guys is doing an astonishing amount of patching, especially on our old walls. I would have only spackled over a few of the larger nail holes. So far, the pros seems well worth the money. I’ll chime in when the work is done.

Only the painters’ work is not done because all of the trim isn’t in yet.

All of the trim isn’t in yet because we were waiting on some of the new doors.

Oh, and install on our luxury shower? Delayed due to a tile issue. The issue was noticed and resolved in the same day, but not in enough time for the plumber to finish his job. Which means he’s coming back…when? Good question.

And how could I forget? The fancypants new bed sleep system arrived. It showed up the afternoon of the nearly-botched counter top install. I was nervous about getting the heavy mechanical base up our flight of stairs and maneuvered into the room, so it’s just as well I wasn’t there to fret about it. Apparently workmen do not appreciate it when you anxiously stand over their shoulders watching their every move (nevermind recording it for. your. blog). While the delivery men were making their way up the stairs (with the help of our painters!), I was stranded in a parking lot, waiting for a knight in shining armor to show up from AAA and jump my car.

Speaking of the sleep system, remeber this?

Actually, I feel like I’ve cleared my head a little now that I’ve written this post. And watching that video I shot the day we closed on the house, I realize how far we’ve really come.

Spam commenters and internet stalkers aside, I’d love to have you over in the new year! Just gimme a few more days weeks months to get ready.

13 Responses to A Quick Update
  1. Rachel (Hounds in the Kitchen)
    December 29, 2011 | 8:39 am

I think they say that renovations always take twice as long as cost twice as much as expected. It is frustrating but you have come a long way. I can’t wait for the final reveal!

• kim/reluctant renovator
      January 3, 2012 | 10:10 pm

We figured we’d likely go 20% over in both directions, which held true, largely because once you start renovating one thing, it really does seem like the thing a few feet away needs a little love, too. I think I will outline a few of the “extras” in upcoming posts. Mostly, we’re glad we put out the extra money for the things we did.

2. Laura Frisch
    December 29, 2011 | 10:12 am

LOL, sorry to laugh at your frustrations, but thanks for the update with an attitude! This is why we try not to do anything to our house, putting up a little shelf leads to finding out that the wall was never screwed into the studs, etc…oops! At least now you know its been done right! Good luck in the New Year and the New House!

• kim/reluctant renovator
      January 3, 2012 | 10:12 pm

I hope it’s been done right! The walls aren’t quite as straight as we thought they’d be and the new floors aren’t quite level–though they are smooth (important for tile) and truly, none of the old floors are level! You’re welcome to come visit any time!

3. Rebecca Lindell
    December 29, 2011 | 10:34 am

Yep yep yep, been there and felt all that, not so long ago! The end is SO exhausting! But it will feel SO good when you are finally basking in the beauty of your newly completed home. You’ll know it was worth it, but you will swear to yourself, “Never again!”

• kim/reluctant renovator
      January 3, 2012 | 10:14 pm

I did a lot of cleaning over the weekend and we had our ducts cleaned last week. It’s still a mess, but the air is a little clearer and it’s *almost* starting to feel like home! I’m mostly in the never again club, but we still have two bathrooms that really need updating in 2012.

• Rebecca Lindell
        January 4, 2012 | 11:15 pm

Yes, we had to go back and finish up this fall, as you know. I hated re-entering The Rehab Zone, but it wasn’t nearly as stressful as the big job last year. The checks we had to write were a lot smaller, too! It was such a relief to be working on just a portion of our home, and not the whole thing.

December 29, 2011 | 6:58 pm

Wow! I can really tell the progress YOU’VE made since that 1st video. You look amazing. Maybe I should remodel a house to lose a few lbs as well. Happy New Year!

• kim/reluctant renovator
      January 3, 2012 | 10:20 pm

Aw thanks! I hadn’t even noticed that until you pointed it out (did I say thanks?). Normally, I’m a stress eater. This project could have very easily caused me to GAIN 10 pounds, but I was already up that much from where I wanted to be, so I had to choose to lose. Now I have an excuse to buy new clothes for my new closet. 😉

5. Laura (@chambanalaura)
    December 30, 2011 | 1:39 pm

Can’t wait for you to enjoy your finished home!

• kim/reluctant renovator
      January 3, 2012 | 10:14 pm

Let’s make a date next time you pass through town. You won’t believe how different it all looks!

6. Michelle
    January 3, 2012 | 1:20 pm

Oh it is never over… even when you’re done, there will still always be projects 😉 But wow you’re getting a lot done, and I’m so jealous that you are having it all done the way you want it done, which is awesome. I’m still trying to figure out how I someday rip out all our carpeting to put in wood floors WHILE we live here and have furniture in the house. #sigh Can’t wait to see the finished project!

7. kim/reluctant renovator
    January 3, 2012 | 10:17 pm

Based on our previous experience with home ownership, we knew it was now or never! That said, I can see how it’s very useful to live in a space prior to renovating it. It would be nice to know where we need certain things most, what traffic patterns are, etc. We took out best guesses.

Your situation sounds like it’s require a move out. I have two sisters-in-law who stayed in their houses during extensive renovations and I can’t imagine what that would be like (esp. w/ dust allergies).