Building Up and Out

Between the demo, work projects and family events, last week was incredibly stressful. I can’t believe that I’ve barely posted since D-Day. Our builder, Rick, and his trusty sidekick, Dennis, completely hit it out of the park. They not only got our kitchen down to the studs, but they were gentle with my vintage cabinets, which are now on the way to their “forever home” in Virginia.

More importantly, the bump out of the dormers, the part of the reno that made me most nervous, was completely framed by Saturday afternoon. All this from only two men. Two focused, hardworking men, I should say.

Take a look at the progress with this video. You can see how the roof line, once that of a sloping Cape Cod, has been bumped out and squared off. I’m actually hanging out on the old roof.

Note the special appearance by Maureen of Wisconsin Mommy and our new theme song, courtesy of DH.

If you’d like to follow along on our journey, “Like” Reluctant Renovator on Facebook, subscribe to this blog or Progress Notes, our monthly newsletter that serves up links to our most popular posts as well as a chance to enter product giveaways. Click to subscribe.

Edited 10/11/11 to add: This video is part of my 7-day Video Challenge through Digital Megaphone’s Social Media Master’s Summit taking place October 25-26 in Chicago. I’m proud to be speaking on the blogger/brand panel at the Summit. See my YouTube channel for some of the other videos which haven’t been posted on the blog just yet.

11 Responses to Building Up and Out
  1. Lisa
    October 10, 2011 | 9:39 am

So what are you going to do in the kitchen now? Maybe stone?

October 10, 2011 | 10:42 pm

Porcelain. It’s very durable and there are loads of options. This past weekend saw porcelain tile that looks like hardwood. It’s weird. And there’s faux marble and all sorts of faux stones. I’ll need to post some pics and get advice.

2. Kristi
    October 10, 2011 | 9:53 am

Omg, I love it! Looking good!

October 10, 2011 | 10:40 pm

Thanks!

3. Rebecca Lindell
    October 10, 2011 | 11:32 am

Hey Kim! You crack me up. I have to tell you I’ve been checking your blog daily for updates. I am so glad things are going well. It’s amazing how much they’ve done in just one week! I feel lucky to have gotten a glimpse of how it used to be. Keep the updates coming! love the video.

October 10, 2011 | 10:40 pm

Thanks! All the photos need to be resized before I can post them on this blog and we’ve got loads of photos. The time commitment + weekend holiday + a set of brothers sleeping over + Columbus day off of school have put me behind. Oh and we had a rush job to get the vintage cabinets ready to ship to Virginia earlier than first expected.

4. Maureen @ Wisconsin Mommy
    October 10, 2011 | 2:19 pm

Wow – I can’t believe how different it already looks from when I saw it! Thanks for letting me guest spot – I love your theme song!!

October 10, 2011 | 10:38 pm

You’ll have to come back when it’s done. Thanks for playing!. 🙂

I’ll pass your comment along to DH. He’s not going to quite his day job just yet, but he is a man of many talents.

5. tracey - justanothermommy
    October 11, 2011 | 6:34 am

Kim, that looks great and the videos are getting so polished!

October 11, 2011 | 1:12 pm

I’m just like Rebecca. I see RR in my FB feed and I get all giddy LOL. So this house is a Cape Cod and the entire new upper level will be MB, bath and laundry room? Will the boys’ rooms be the typical existing 2 bedrooms on the main level?

7. Kristina
    October 14, 2011 | 10:19 am

Love it! I cannot wait to see how it all turns out.