Our Appliance Order

advertisement for Jenn-air stove

clever Jenn-Air ad

Ye olde fridge is moving down to the basement and the stove is gone. Soon we’ll have a kitchen full of all new appliances. Well, after they tear down the cabinets, strip off the linoleum flooring and the subfloor and buff up the underlying oak, install new cabinets and the solid surface counter top we’ll be ready for the whole shmear- a new fridge, range, microwave and, for the first time ever in this house, a dishwasher and disposer.

Having all new appliances is both exciting (shiny!) and intimidating (how long before I chip/scratch/break them?).

We’re planning to buy from Abt Electronics because they give out fresh chocolate chip cookies on the weekends have excellent customer service.

Dear readers, you have given me great advice so far, so I want to run our choices by you. If you see a dud here, let me know before it’s too late! Here’s what we’re looking at:

Samsung 26 cu ft White French Door Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
We didn’t want in-the-door water service because my parents and we have had issue with ice dams forming that created serious problems. For my parents, it caused a meltdown that warped their wood floor. I think this Samsung has water service inside the fridge, which seems like a ridiculous waste of energy, i.e. stand at the fridge with the door open while you fill you glass with water, but we don’t plan to use the feature. I really like the freezer handle, we both like the internal LED lights, which for some reason, not all manufacturers use.

GE Profile 6.0 cu ft Freestanding Double Oven Gas Range with Self-Cleaning Oven and Center Oval Burner w/ Nonstick Griddle
I told you a griddle in the middle was all the rage again. I like that this double oven has the small oven on the bottom. So many manufacturers place the small oven on top and the large one below, which I guess is handy for baking cookies or a quick pizza, but who wants to bend down to the floor to pick up a 15 pound turkey? Not me.

Maytag 24 inch Jetclean Plus White UnderCounter Steam Dishwasher
Maybe I’ll finally use my wedding china knowing it can go in the washer on a steam cycle. (Eager brides, listen to your groom; skip the fine dishes.)

GE Spacemaker 1.8 cu ft white microhood
This will go over the stove. We’re used to this design, so I don’t think it will make the stove top feel cramped.

Whirlpool Cabrio White Top Loading Washer and Whirlpool Cabrio White front Load Gas Dryer
Call me old-fashioned, but I’m all about the top loader. That said, this isn’t your mama’s toploader. Nor is it the old Maytag that came with our house. I think I could fit in one day’s worth of one family member’s clothes and call it a full load. Hooray for modern large capacity, high efficiency washers. But not really. I’ve read that because it’s so easy to wash so much that people today do more laundry than in the past. Agreed?

So, what do you think? We good?

We’re not buying Jenn-Air, Whirlpool’s high end brand, but they get linky love for their very creative ad which had a pull-out stove (pictured above), so that consumers can literally see it in their kitchen. My arms were just a little too short to get the best effect, but you get the idea.

Edited 10/3 to add (because I can’t lose a list if it’s on my blog)

The Franke water tap lb1000, chrome

Water Filter, the Franke FRX02 (with lead removal!)

KitchenAid KCDS100T garbage disposal

14 Responses to Our Appliance Order
  1. DrLori71
    September 27, 2011 | 11:19 am

I’d have to give a giant NO to the Whirlpool Cabrio washer/dryer. We have the same washer/dryer, also purchased at Abt. It was less than 2 years old when it gave us an error code and stopped working. Whirlpool service was less than helpful. Abt service came out (they moved our appt up several days after I tweeted them that I was going to leave my dirty laundry there). Basically the problem was a loose screw. So we had to pay $$ for a loose screw! Of course the washer/dryer was out of warranty so Whirlpool didn’t care at all that their products are inferior. Even the Abt service guy told us that Abt doesn’t like working with Whirlpool. My advice is to stay away from Whirlpool products – their products are inferior and their customer service sucks.

September 27, 2011 | 1:07 pm

My mom has one that is a size smaller than what we plan to get and I’m pretty happy with it. If you corner pretty much anyone who deals in appliances, they will tell you that they aren’t made like back in the day. They are only expected to last 7-10 years given all the plastic parts and whatnot. We’ll see what breaks down first. Sorry you had a loose screw, that’s pretty much my life.

2. Hope
    September 27, 2011 | 11:21 am

Nice!! It’s so great seeing the evolution of your new home. Keep the posts coming.

September 27, 2011 | 1:07 pm

Thanks for stopping by. The real fun is a week or so away…

3. Rebecca Lindell
    September 27, 2011 | 12:38 pm

Two years ago, when we were doing our kitchen, I could have given you a detailed critique of each of your choices … but now, I can barely remember the differences between each brand. Amnesia is the renovator’s best friend! Sounds like you’ve done your due diligence, Kim. Plus know that Abt has a great return policy … so unless something is built-in, you’ve got a pretty good shot at returning it if it doesn’t work out for you.

September 27, 2011 | 1:08 pm

I hear you and agree on Abt, which is why we plan to buy from them.

September 27, 2011 | 12:53 pm

I have no clue about what’s hot and what’s not in regards to appliances, but I’m wondering why you chose white and not stainless? When we replaced our appliances 8 years ago the plan was to move soon so I chose the cheaper white. Now that I know it’s quite possible that I’m going to die in this house I’m pissed that I didn’t get stainless.

September 27, 2011 | 1:10 pm

I so do not like the stainless steel look. Or the industrial look, but all the stove tops have it now. Ugh. It’s a home kitchen, not a restaurant. Plus with SS you get soooo many finger prints. It would never be shiny.

By the time we sell, the house will look dated no matter what we do!

5. Liza
    September 27, 2011 | 12:55 pm

Have you had a bottom-freezer fridge unit before?

I had not, when we got ours. It sounds so convenient! But there is less space, and I hate it. The shelf/drawer setup reduces the available space for food.

I would not buy one again. But YMMV.

September 27, 2011 | 1:12 pm

I guess the trade off is being able to fit catering trays and big cakes in the fridge. We’ll move the current freezer/fridge to the basement, so we’ll have a bit of extra space if we need it. Despite our best attempts, the freezer always turns into a frozen tundra where stuff gets buried and forgotten about. So maybe a small freezer will be good. Thanks for chiming in!

6. kimberly/tippytoes
    September 27, 2011 | 1:53 pm

We’ve bought from Abt before even though we’re in California because it was still a better deal than out here. Suddenly, though, I feel like I was screwed out of fresh chocolate chip cookies. We may use them again as we begin our foray into major renovation. Gulp!

• Jennifer Arocena
      September 27, 2011 | 4:34 pm

Hi Kimberly,

Thanks for being an online Abt customer! If you ever make it to the Chicago area, please stop by. We have a wonderful store for you to enjoy with freshly baked chocolate chip cookies and coffee on the weekends. Please let me know if you need any assistance. Good luck on your next renovation!

Sincerely,
      Jennifer Arocena
      eCommerce Marketing Coordinator
      abtmarketing@abt.com

7. Kristina
    September 27, 2011 | 2:15 pm

I don’t know much about the appliances you mentioned (unfortunately I haven’t ordered any lately). But they sound nice and if you don’t like stainless, don’t get it. It’s your house. I like stainless but my second favorite would be white. Clean and classic! I cannot wait to see how it all looks. Good to know about Abt. Hadn’t heard of it before! Thanks for keeping me in the loop.

September 27, 2011 | 11:57 pm

Keep you in the loop? You might be one of our first houseguests.