Nobody Puts @RenovatorKim in a Corner

First came the great closet struggle, now it’s the kitchen corner conundrum. Corner sinkWe’ve got a domino thing going in the kitchen. Long story short, we are gutting the entire thing to make room for a dishwasher*. And we determined that the best place for the kitchen sink was a corner. We drew up a design and all was good. That is, until last weekend when one of my sisters-in-law dished on how much she disliked her corner sink.

Imagine spending tens of thousands of dollars on a kitchen overhaul only to be unhappy in the heart of your revamped home.

{shudders}

That is why renovating, decorating and designing leaves me like a deer frozen in the headlights. I really don’t want that to happen. I don’t want to waste screw up this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

On the flip side, I fear this will mean everything in our new home will be bland and/or beige.

Anyway, my sister-in-law’s comment got me thinking and from that conversation onward, I pretty much surveyed everyone I encountered on their thoughts and feelings about corner sinks. Those who have or had corner sinks told me:

“It will feel cramped.”

“For a short person like you, Kim, it might be hard to reach the faucet.”

“It’s going to take up more space than you think.”

“The area under the sink will be completely useless.”

Uh, time to reconsider.

What are your thoughts on corner sinks?

*Based on the picture it might look as though we could slide in a dishwasher next to the sink, but we can’t.

No related posts.

15 Responses to Nobody Puts @RenovatorKim in a Corner
  1. Daisy
    August 2, 2011 | 2:13 pm

Thoughts – will there still be space between the sink and stove? I’m not convinced that the under-sink space will be worthless. We use our corner space, thanks to pull out shelves. Our kitchen is tiny, very tiny, so every inch of space counts.

2. kim/reluctant renovator
    August 2, 2011 | 2:22 pm

Yes, there would be some, but we also can’t get too large of a sink, because then it gets set back more and then the faucet might start feeling out of reach for me.

3. ChaosRu
    August 2, 2011 | 2:28 pm

I always prefer the largest sink I can get! You end up with a platter or a pot that just won’t fit in the smaller sinks more frequently than you think.

4. Heather Johnson
    August 2, 2011 | 2:49 pm

If your SIL has one – can you just go over and use her kitchen a few times?

I would think if you’re short – it might be difficult to reach to the back corner.

• kim/reluctant renovator
      August 2, 2011 | 9:21 pm

I did spend a bit of time nosing around her sink and the cabinet below at a party she had last weekend! I can see how if we went too large or too deep, it would present a problem.

5. Erin @ One Project at a Time
    August 2, 2011 | 3:57 pm

While I don’t have any experience with a corner sink, do you really have any other option? If the choice is between Corner Sink & dishwasher, or non-corner sink with no dishwasher, the choice would be a no brainer for me. Our dishwasher has been broken for the past week and I’d give my next child for a new one. (A bit strong, but I get dramatic when I have a sink full of dirty dishes.) :)

• kim/reluctant renovator
      August 2, 2011 | 9:21 pm

I don’t blame you. At first, I suggested maybe we deal with a dishwasherless kitchen, but it only took my husband about two seconds to talk me out of it.

6. Cindy Fey
    August 2, 2011 | 8:00 pm

Talk to a professional. My person – http://www.lbinteriordesign.com/lb_contact.htm

Lindsay is both a licensed contractor and a designer. She’s worth the money for a consult.

7. kim/reluctant renovator
    August 2, 2011 | 9:24 pm

Ooh, a referral from a trusted friend. Thanks! I think I am a designers worst nightmare. Very noncommittal and not tuned in to style and design. One recent bath designer I met with kindly described me to his colleague as someone with “an evolving sense of style.” I’d call it casual/comfy/eclectic (meaning, of course, my random garage sale finds and hand-me-downs don’t match).

8. GenaMazzeo
    August 3, 2011 | 12:16 pm

You may want to ‘live’ in the space for a few days and block out where things are (or will be) and see how it feels to pantomime preparing a meal. Can you really lift that pot of boiling water into your corner sink to drain the pasta? Is the dishwasher in the right place with your cabinets to ensure your boys will help you empty it and not drop every plate on the floor when they have to carry it ACROSS the kitchen? Aww heck, who am I kidding, so YOU don’t have to carry them across the kitchen? That process of pretending to do things in real time and moving in the space helped my mom when she redid her kitchen after the Northridge Earthquake.

9. kim/reluctant renovator
    August 3, 2011 | 12:29 pm

Thanks for the idea, Gena. For better or worse, I’m more likely to spend hours pantomiming than I am to call in a professional designer who will try to get to to open up about how I want the kitchen to FEEL.

10. Stephanie
    August 3, 2011 | 12:57 pm

Kim, we’re about the same height, and my opinion is: nooooooo! My best friend had a corner sink in her kitchen (single bowl, large but not huge) and I had to stand on tippy toes just to get to the soap and paper towels they placed behind the sink. I hated cooking in that kitchen just because of that (and we entertain a lot together). Happy to say she moved to a kitchen with a “normal” sink.

Agreed that with a professional consult you’ll save yourself a lot of heartache. But look for someone not to talk design, but erognomics – they should talk “magic triangle” with you. We designed our kitchen ourselves with our contractor but our consult with the Home Depot guy who had been in the kitchens business for 25 years was invaluable. (We ended up buying our cabinets there because he was so smart & helpful.)

Sacrifice everything else to get the kitchen that you want. We did and it’s so worth it.

August 3, 2011 | 5:34 pm

I agree with Erin, and if she’ll birth a baby for me for a dishwasher send her my way LOL I loves the babies!

12. Carrie
    August 3, 2011 | 9:41 pm

We have a corner sink, and I don’t have a problem with it. You can always get a big-ass fixture on the sink that is not hard to reach, instead of tiny little knobs at the back.

HOWEVER, I would rather my sink faced a window like yours does now, because I would like to look out the window while I wash dishes. On the upside, we mounted a radio/TV/DVD player under the cupboard so I can watch TV while I wash if I want to.

13. Lisa
    March 2, 2012 | 7:44 am

We plan on a corner sink when we redo my kitchen. It must depend on the kitchen, because I’m just as short as you. My MIL has a corner sink and I’ve never once had a problem with it or reaching things behind it.