Upstairs Bath BEFORE

This is the upstairs bathroom, AKA the Boys’ Bath. It’s currently ours, but once we have a master bablue bathroom wall with toilet and storageth, it will be theirs. Sadly, this room has been relegated to the renovation B List.

Unless I win the lottery.

But seeing as I consider the lottery a tax for people with bad math, we may not get around to updating this whimsical room until 2012.

It starts out normal enough, if a bit off-center. (Any suggestions for filling that space alongside the toilet? It seems a bit large for a mere magazine holder.)

Not surprisingly, it could use a lighting update.

vitnage fluorescent light

Uh, here’s where it starts to get a bit funky.

shower

HVAC venting in the shower and the eave from the roof add quirky touches, but the real zinger (literally) is the fact that one can flip the light switch on while lathering up and turn it off while rising away the suds. Danger, Will Robinson!

shower with light switch in it

That’s what I’m talkin’ about.

And for convenience, one can plug in her blow dryer in the base of that fluorescent light to the right of the mirror and get to work on her hair without  leaving the tub. Perfect for the night owl who needs a morning shower to jolt her awake.

On the bright side, the tub and the tile seem to be in pretty good shape.

I know, I’m grasping at straws here; aren’t I?

Based on popular demand, I came back to add a link to our totally retro pink bathroom.

17 Responses to Upstairs Bath BEFORE
  1. Kelly
    July 26, 2011 | 7:10 am

A new light fixture, removing that cabinet and some paint could make things slightly better. 😉

• kim/reluctant renovator
      July 26, 2011 | 7:38 am

Yes, those are certainly the easiest things. However, there is ceiling damage on the bathroom below this, so there is probably some kind of leakage from the toilet or plumbing. That’s where the money will come in.

• Kelly
        July 26, 2011 | 7:57 am

Oof! I take it back. You need to win the lottery.

2. kd sullivan
    July 26, 2011 | 7:11 am

Actually I kind of like it. It’s kind of retro.

• kim/reluctant renovator
      July 26, 2011 | 7:40 am

I do like the color. The mirror/medicine cabinet, which I did not get a close up of, is in pretty good shape. It’s similar to what we have downstairs in the pink bathroom on the main floor, but in better condition. I was thinking of doing a switcheroo. Or selling it. {ducks while the retro lovers throw tomatoes}

3. liz
    July 26, 2011 | 7:18 am

Are you going to leave the toilet position and put something next to it?

You are right – the tile IS in good shape. :)

I love that there was a time that dual-functionality for bathroom fixtures was a “thing”.

Your site inspired me to go back to my old before & after posts and add a bunch of SEO tagging. I’m already getting hits from them! Boom. :)

• kim/reluctant renovator
      July 26, 2011 | 7:41 am

Dual functionality vs. safety! Cool on the SEO tagging. I have a draft in the queue to link to some of your old DYI efforts.

• kim/reluctant renovator
        July 26, 2011 | 7:41 am

Err, DIY.

• liz
          July 26, 2011 | 8:04 am

Too bad our remodel projects were from completely different eras. I don’t know if I think 80’s is better or worse than what you have to deal with. At least in the 80’s entire walls weren’t covered with tile.

4. Rachel (Hounds in the Kitchen)
    July 26, 2011 | 7:22 am

That is some nice tile…and a lot of it…

I agree that for less than $100 you could paint, update the light fixture and move the switches to make it safe and more enjoyable in the interim.

5. kim/reluctant renovator
    July 26, 2011 | 7:50 am

As with so many items in the house, movoing the light switch is not as easy as it seems. The door opens to the left. Code dictates the the switch must be on the wall opposite of the way the door opens, which would be its current position. Except that code does will not let you have the switch in the shower. So we also need to rehang the door, or perhaps have it open into the hallway instead of the room. Or we can put it on the wall near the sink. Either way, it’s electrical work, so we’ll be hiring out for that.

• kim/reluctant renovator
      July 26, 2011 | 7:55 am

I should probably reply to comments A) after drinking some coffee, B) wearing my glasses, so I can actually read what’s on the screen, rather than just go by what I think I’m typing out. Sorry for the typos.

6. Kristina
    July 26, 2011 | 2:03 pm

What about some sort of storage cabinet for the empty space? You can find nice ones inexpensively. Would be a temporary solution. The good news is that you have a lot of space for cabinetry and maybe another sink, etc, when you do renovate.

7. Daisy
    July 26, 2011 | 2:54 pm

I like Kristina’s idea for the space beside the toilet. Keep your eyes peeled at consignment or antique stores; you may find a collectible that fills the space perfectly. Daughter bought a wicker piece intended for a bathroom and adapted it for her college dorm; surely the opposite is possible, too.
    Good luck with the wall switch!

July 26, 2011 | 3:07 pm

Great idea and I’m always looking for a way to rationalize my way into a resale shop. I do have to keep in mind the boyish nature of the room. I’m saving all the splurges for our master bathroom!

8. […] The cabinet/sink base from the current upstairs bathroom. This bathroom isn’t part of our Plan A Renovation Project (I’m not made of money, […]

9. RL Julia
    August 15, 2011 | 4:38 pm

The previous owners sure did love tile. I don’t even want to contemplate why the towel rings are placed where they are…. Also – with all that room, is there any particular reason that the towel HAS to be right above the toilet? I like the idea of light blue – but perhaps not that particular shade. What are the boys favorite colors?

Since this is the boy’s bathroom and you have all that space next to the toliet, I’d recommend any of the following:

Bookcase with books and a small fish tank (if anyone wants to keep fish that is).

Big plant.

Elaborate lego etc… sculpture that could not be dismantled.

Paint the wall with chalk paint and get some chalk.

Freestanding coat rack for towels, pj’s, bathrobes, wet bathing suits.

Giant inflatable alien won at fair somewhere.

Might be nice to replace the cabinet above the toliet with one of those IKEA kitchen cabinets that open more like a garage door. IKEA Varne is the line. flip up cabinets with smoked glass door.

I wonder what the person who put the toilet so close to the wall in the first place had there?