St. Charles Retro Metal Cabinets Circa 1954 For Sale

Please note these were sold in October 2011.

So I’ve got this thing. And it’s, it’s bleepin’ golden! Well, technically, it’s “buttercup,” but still-metal cabinets for sale in Chicago I’ve got vintage steel cabinets. When we told our contractor that we wanted to salvage as much as we can from the demo it was because of our desire to keep things out of landfills, but then I learned that our retro St. Charles metal kitchen cabinets, the kind in our kitchen, are a thing. That is, serious retro renovators covet them to the point that they will pay for them.

Fabulous. Empty the landfill and fill my empty checking account.

Before I officially list them on the Chicago CraigsList and in the forum at Retro Renovator, I thought I’d post pics here.

It is a small, but amazing set. Mrs. B must have been the toast of the town back in the day with her fancy pull out shelves and whatnot. (Silly me, I thought those were modern conveniences thought up in the 1990s. Really.)

Take a look at these Buttercup Yellow lovelies, a set consisting of a corner cabinet, a sink base and a 20-inch(ish) side cabinet with the above mentioned fancypants shelves. The true color is represented pretty well in the photo at the top right, though it varies in the other photos.

Like a Mercedes hood ornament, this nameplate is a coveted item in some circles

care label for st. charles cabinets

Still intact after all these years

pull out cabinet drawer, St. Charles

st charles swing out door

st. chalres cabinet drawer pull for sale

If you’d rather see these cabinets in your Chicagoland or Midwestern home than my basement, drop me a note at reluctantrenovator {at} hotmail {dot} com.

No related posts.

27 Responses to St. Charles Retro Metal Cabinets Circa 1954 For Sale
  1. Susan Bearman
    August 17, 2011 | 9:45 am

Hope you make a bundle with them.

2. [...] kitchen, which you can see here, is a odd blend of high-end vintage metal cabinets (for sale), basic wooden ones, 1950s mosaic wall tile, 1970s wallpaper and a linoleum floor. We’re [...]

3. We sold our stove on Craigslist
    September 22, 2011 | 5:48 am

[...] that came with the house and we haven’t even started the gut job yet. Go Team Moldofsky! Like the St. Charles vintage metal cabinets (for which I might have a buyer), the Tappan range looks like it was top of the line for its time [...]

4. [...] the mid 1970s, so it’s possible these date back to the 1950s to go with the Buttercup Yellow St. Charles cabinets. “Virginia,” our hopeful cabinet buyer gets first dibs on these. Admittedly, they are a [...]

5. Sue
    October 10, 2011 | 8:05 pm

Are these gone. I hope not. If not how many do you have and how much do you want for them.

Thanks
    Sue

October 10, 2011 | 10:36 pm

They are en route to Virginia as I type; sorry! I will be getting rid of some vintage fixtures in the near future- light fixtures, switch plates and a vintage porcelain bathroom faucet.

6. Dawn Thomas
    October 17, 2011 | 12:19 pm

Sue,

If you are still looking for St. Charles metal kitchen cabinets.. I moved into an old house 6 mos ago and remodeled the kitchen. My old cabinets are in excellent shape and have the St. Charles logo. It is a U-shaped kitchen with glass-front corner cabinets, pull-out cutting boards and flour sifters, and lazy susans. The cabinets are sea foam green with coral shelves. They are stored in my climate-controlled basement. I live in Knoxville, TN. Please contact me if you are still looking.

• Alvin Chapin
      December 1, 2011 | 9:05 am

interested in the st.charles metal kitchen cabinets.
      do you have a price in mind?

7. Bonnie
    November 9, 2011 | 10:35 am

Hi there. I have a set as well I want to sell. Just curious how much u got fir them. Mine are gray and flawless! Mint. Thanks for the info! Bonnie

• Alvin Chapin
      December 1, 2011 | 9:06 am

interested in your cabinets. What price?

• Mary
      December 11, 2011 | 11:08 am

Are your cabinets for sale!? How many and whatvtypes do you have? How much do you want for them?

Kind regards,

Mary

8. margo
    November 18, 2011 | 1:53 am

Hi, Im in search of a set of metal kitchen cabinets. Please let me know if your interested in selling yours

• sallie
      November 21, 2011 | 8:56 pm

Margo, we have some we may want to sell. They are so beautiful, we are considering powder coating them and keeping them, but we’re expanding the kitchen and need so many more that I think it makes sense to just start over. Email me sallie22 at hotmail dot com and I will send you all the dimensions!

9. Michael
    March 13, 2012 | 12:27 am

Looking for St Charles kitchen cabinets.
    Does anyone have some they want to sell?

• Pamela
      March 27, 2012 | 9:10 am

I have a set of St. Charles cabinets in the same yellow color as those above–also with the metal doors on the bottom cabinets and wood doors on the uppers. I call it Lemonade Yellow because it’s still offered on the St. Charles website and that’s what they call it. These cabinets are in mint condition. Like someone above I’ve thought about having them painted, but want to remove a wall in my kitchena and move some things around so I’m not sure about that. Anyway, if you’re interested in seeing some photos, please let me know. rojodeuce@yahoo.com

• CGrosso
      May 17, 2012 | 9:04 am

Yes, we have the yellow cabinets and they are in great condition. We are beginning a kitchen remodel job in June 2012 and are looking to sell.

10. Kathy
    April 6, 2012 | 7:55 pm

Pamela….. I am so interested in your cabinets! Do you still have them? Please let me know!
    Kat

11. CGrosso
    May 17, 2012 | 9:03 am

I have the same cabinets and I am about to undergo a kitchen rehab. I also would like to sell me St. Charles kitchen. Did you have any luck and do you have any suggestions?

12. Chad G
    May 18, 2012 | 10:24 am

I have 15 St. Charles cabinets I am replacing in June 2012. 6 base, 8 uppers. Bottom includes vertical cutting board base with internal drawer, large cooktop base, 3 drawer with flush wood cutting board (potato, onion drawers) inside corner unit with fixed shelves, sink base, swing out inside corner unit with top shelf for utensils. Uppers are 3 single door units, 2 inside corner units with fixed shelves, dbl sink top, dbl Frig top and one double unit. Location W.Hartford, CT. email if interested.

13. Christine Lewis
    May 22, 2012 | 12:45 pm

We are interested in selling our cabinets, exactly the same but white. If interested, call 314-961-3960. I will send pictures!

14. robert tinning
    July 20, 2012 | 9:44 am

we have a kitchen full of good condition st charles cabinets in our 1957 ranch house that we are removing. Dallas, will consider selling.

15. robert tinning
    July 20, 2012 | 6:19 pm

we will sale our 1957 St Charles full kitchen cabinets, located in Dallas

16. Ann Mcclain
    July 23, 2012 | 1:31 pm

I am interested in buying a full kitchen of metal cabinets. I live in Az so it would take a few days to get to most of you. Please let me know if you still have your set and still willing to sell them.
    Ann

• Greg
      August 16, 2012 | 4:12 pm

I have a full kitchen of St. Charles cabinets for sale

• Pamela
      January 29, 2013 | 4:05 pm

Ann, I have a full set of of butter yellow cabinets with walnut doors on the upper cabinets. Let me know if you’re interested. I’m in Houston. rojodeuce@yahoo.com